Before installing your scanner, please verify that you have all of the proper components. A list of the package contents is provided in the Box Contents section of this guide.
Software Installation Requirements
Your scanner comes with the image-editing software, BCR software, the scanner’s driver, and the Smart Touch software. All of these software applications use approximately 250 megabytes of hard disk space after they are installed into your computer. To ensure ample room for the installation, as well as for scanning and saving images, a minimum of 300 megabytes of hard disk space is recommended.
The USB scanner can only operate under the Microsoft Windows 98, Me, 2000 Professional or XP operating system.
- This scanner is designed and manufactured strictly in compliance with USB 2.0 High Speed and Full Speed specifications. Should you encounter scanning problems with this scanner on Windows98/Me whereas you have also recently upgraded the computer hardware to include USB 2.0 High Speed support, it is very probably resulted from the compatibility between the operating system and the USB 2.0 chipset on mother boards or interface cards due to Microsoft’s lack of USB 2.0 support in Windows98/Me. To rectify the problem, you are recommended to buy an additional compatible card or upgrade your operating system to Windows XP/2000.
- Please do not use multiple USB scanners in Windows XP simultaneously! For more information, please refer to the following URL... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324756
This scanner connects to your computer through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) which supports hot Plug and Play. To determine whether your computer is USB- capable, you must check the rear of your PC to locate a USB jack that looks the same as the one pictured below. Note that on some computers, the USB port at the rear of the computer may be occupied and additional ports may be found on the monitor or keyboard. If you are having trouble in locating the USB port on your computer, please refer to the hardware manual that came with your computer.
Upon examination, you should find one or two rectangular USB ports, which usually appear as shown below.
If you don’t find such USB ports on your computer, then you need to purchase a certified USB interface card to add USB capabilities to your computer.
Installing and Setting up the Scanner
Please follow the step-by-step procedures described below to install the Plustek scanner.
Step 1. Connecting the Scanner to Your Computer
1. Plug the square end of the included USB cable to the USB port of the scanner.
2. Plug the rectangular end of the USB cable to the USB port on the back of your computer.
Note: If there is another USB device connected to the computer, connect the scanner to an available USB port.
3. If you plan to connect your scanner to a USB hub3, make sure that the hub is connected to the USB port in your computer. Next, connect the scanner to the USB hub.
Note: If you do not have a USB port available, you might need to buy a USB port.
Step 2. Installing the Software
1. If the USB components on your computer are functioning correctly, they will automatically detect the scanner causing the “Add New Hardware Wizard” or “Found New Hardware Wizard” to be launched. Note: If your computer was off when you connected the scanner, the “Add New Hardware Wizard” message will be displayed when you turn the computer on and when Windows starts.
2. For Windows 98 & 2000
a. Click on the [Next] button when the “Add New Hardware Wizard” window is displayed.
b. Select “Search For The Best Driver For Your Device [Recommended]” and click on the [Next] button.
c. The next window will ask you where to search to find the drive. Select [CD- ROM drive], and deselect [Floppy disk drives] if it is checked.
d. Insert the Setup/Application CD-ROM, included with your scanner, into your
CD-ROM drive and then click on the [Next] button.
e. Click on the [Next] button in the window that appears. Afterwards, for Windows 98 users, please skip to Step 4.
f. Windows 2000 users – During the process of the installation, a message “Digital Signature required” might be prompted. Please ignore it, and click on [Yes] to continue the installation without any misgiving at your scanner functioning. Afterwards, please skip to Step 4.
3. For Windows XP & Me
a. Insert the Setup/Application CD-ROM, included with your scanner, into your CD-ROM drive.
b. Select “Install The Software Automatically [Recommended]” and click on the [Next] button.
c. Click on the [Next] button in the window that appears.
4. When the system completes the installation, click on the [Finish] button.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to install all software that your new USB scanner requires.
6. After the software is installed, close all open applications and click on the [Finish] button to restart your computer.
7. After the computer is restarted, you will be prompted to perform the scanner calibration.
8. Insert the special calibration sheet, included with the scanner, face up into the page feed of the scanner.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the scanner calibration.
Note: The buttons on the scanner are designed to work with bundled software. To make those buttons work properly, you need to install NewSoft Presto! ImageFolio and Cardiris software in the CD-ROM to your system.
If the scanner installation is not started and displayed automatically on the screen, click [START], select [Run] and type in [d:\setup] (where d: is the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive of your computer.)
Step 3. Testing the Scanner
The following test procedure checks to see if the scanner is properly functioning with your computer and the scanning software. Before testing your scanner, double check to make sure that all connections are securely fastened.
To properly test your scanner, please perform the following steps:
1. Insert the document or image face up into the scanner. Align the paper to the arrow sign on the left of the scanner.
2. Press the SCAN button on the scanner. The scanning starts immediately.
3. When the scan completes, Presto! ImageFolio program opens.
4. If an image appears on your screen, your scanner is working properly.
If the test failed in any way, please refer to “Appendix A: Troubleshooting” section of this manual and follow the instructions therein.
Software Setup Troubleshooting
Carefully review the steps outlined in this guide and the Quick Guide that accompanied your scanner.
If you are still having problems, please check that:
• You have 250MB of free space on your hard disk drive.
• The scanner is plugged in and has power.
• You are using the USB cable supplied with the scanner.
• The square end of the USB cable is plugged into the rear of the scanner.
• The rectangular end of the USB cable is plugged into the back of your computer.
If you deviated from the installation procedures defined in this manual, please unplug the USB cable from the scanner and reinstall the software from the CD-ROM. To reinstall your scanner’s software, click [Start], [Run], then type D:\Setup (where D represents the letter of your CD-ROM drive). Carefully follow all the installation instructions presented in the Setup Wizard. Reboot your computer when prompted, and plug the USB cable back into the scanner while your computer is still turned on.
Installing Additional Software
Your scanner is TWAIN compliant and functions with virtually all available TWAIN compatible software. If you purchase additional software to be used with your scanner, please make sure that it conforms to the TWAIN standard.
Scanner Setup After Windows XP Upgrade
If you plan to upgrade your operating system from Windows 98 or Me to Windows
XP after having installed the scanner software, please follow the instructions below:
1. Unplug the scanner’s USB cable from the rear of the computer.
2. From the Windows START menu, click on [Programs] and then [Plustek OptiCard 820]. In the pop-up menu that opens, click on [Uninstall Plustek OptiCard 820]. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove all the scanner software.
3. After uninstallation completes, close all open applications and click the [Finish] button to restart your computer.
4. Start installing your Windows XP upgrade software by following Microsoft’s related procedures.
5. When the Windows XP upgrade is done, re-install the scanner’s hardware and software. Refer to the scanner setup quick guide for details.