What is it?
This is an easy to complete record of your observations. Use it when a student is not making expected progress with reading.
It will clarify the literacy difficulties you are observing and suggests SpLD indicators.
For more information on SpLD refer to Page 9 of The Literacy Handbook.
Why is it useful?
The completed document will provide a good basis for a conversation with the SENCo about the difficulties you have observed.
It will clearly indicate if further investigation into one or more of these areas is needed:
- Dyspraxia / DCD – Developmental Co-ordination
- Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity
How can I use it to support a learner’s needs?
- To clearly identify your concerns regarding individuals learning profile
- As a supporting checklist of concerns for the SENCo / Learning Support Advisory Teacher or Education Psychologist
- To support adjustments to your teaching approach or learning environment
- To better understand patterns of need experienced by the learner
- To inform adjustments to support high quality inclusive teaching practice
The SpLD Literacy Gathering Information Form is part of The Literacy Passport – Reading Strategies and Transition Documents